AGENDA 2030 IMPLEMENTATION
Tuesday, 18 August 2020
The Netherlands has integrated SDG implementation into the regular policy cycle based on the present Coalition Agreement (2017-2021). Specific mechanisms are set up for coordinating SDG action and measuring and reporting on SDG progress. An action plan (in Dutch) to implement the SDGs was sent to Parliament in September 2016. The plan outlines responsibilities of government and stakeholders. It focuses on mobilizing inclusive action, stimulating partner initiatives and initiated an annual reporting process.
A report outlining national SDG progress is submitted to Parliament annually. In May 2021, the fifth and most recent report (in English) on SDG progress was presented as part of the annual policy and budget accountability process towards parliament.
The Netherlands has launched various programs to work towards a sustainable and inclusive future. Action plans describe steps to take and goals for relevant stakeholders.
- In 2016, a government-wide programme was launched with a goal for the Dutch economy to be completely circular by 2050. A 50% reduction in raw materials consumption must be achieved by 2030.
- In 2019, the National Climate Agreement was concluded, setting The Netherlands on a track for a 95% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions by 2050.
- The Dutch action plan to support the transition to circular agriculture was presented in 2019. The plan entails a shift towards improving the efficiency of resources used in agriculture and producing food in harmony with nature.
- A National Prevention Agreement was concluded in 2018 to tackle smoking, problematic alcohol consumption and overweight.
- In 2019, a new national strategy (in Dutch) was launched for long term, sustainable economic growth, with the SDGs as intermediate goal posts for 2030.
Since 2016 the Dutch National Statistical Office (CBS) publishes an annual report on the SDGs in the Netherlands. Starting from 2019 the Dutch national SDG reporting process has been integrated into the annual Monitor of Well-being and SDGs, which was the outcome of a process led by a Parliamentary committee to establish indicators for wellbeing comprising the social, economic and environmental dimensions.
The Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs coordinates the national implementation of the SDGs. The Multilateral Institutions and Human Rights Department hosts a National SDG Coordinator and an SDG-team. The team works closely together with the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Climate Policy, which coordinates the Dutch approach to wellbeing.
All line ministries are responsible for implementing the SDGs in their respective policy fields. Ministers co-sign the annual report on SDG progress to Parliament.
Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Netherlands
The Netherlands action plan (in Dutch) to implement the SDGs (September 2016)
- Fifth Dutch National SDG (May 2021 in English)
- Fourth Dutch National SDG Report "Sustainable Development in the Netherlands" (May 2020 in English)
- Third report on SDG progress (in Dutch, 2019)
- Second report (in Dutch, 2018)
- First report (in Dutch, 2017)
The Netherlands submitted a VNR in 2017. The government has expressed the intention to submit a VNR for a total of three times during the 15 year SDG timeframe.
The Netherlands submitted its second VNR in 2022.